The Leaders Plus Fellowship Programme
Our award-winning Fellowship is for people on maternity leave, shared parental leave and up to three years after the return to work.
We support you to stay on the leadership pipeline and continue to develop your career while you enjoy your young family.
You access an external peer support network, high-quality training, mentoring and inspiring role models during the 9-month programme.
Our Fellows build a positive movement for change so that all new parents can thrive in leadership roles.
Our events and sessions are always baby-friendly.
Our external evaluation shows how we are making a difference to the gender pay gap.
Who is the Fellowship for?
The programme is for managers and leaders with significant childcare responsibilities for children under three.
About half of our Fellows are pregnant, on maternity leave, shared parental leave or adoption leave. The other half returned to work within the last three years.
The Leaders Plus Fellowship is a cross-sector programme open to both women and men and we warmly welcome applications from fathers.
We also actively encourage individuals from groups that are underrepresented in leadership roles to apply.
This includes for example individuals with a BAME or LGBTQI+ background.
What does the programme include?
- 'Leaders with Babies' event to inspire you to continue to progress your career despite the challenges.
- Mentor who has combined an ambitious career with looking after young children
- Developing a supportive network with like-minded peers across sectors
- 9 months programme with events and workshops building your confidence and career skills as a parent
- Practical tools to develop your career while being a parent to young children.
- Access to inspirational role models who combine leadership careers with looking after young children.
- Support to start driving change in your organisation.
- Sessions with your manager and your partner (if applicable) to help you achieve your ideal family and career vision.
- You are welcome to take your baby along to the events and workshops.
This is for you if you are:
- Passionate about continuing to develop your career. Mums and dads welcome!
- On or about to go on maternity leave, shared parental leave, adoption leave, or have returned to work was less than 3 years ago.
Primary pilot: we have been approached by a number of parents to run a Fellowship for parents of Primary school-age children, if there is enough interest, we will run a pilot this year with the same application deadline, cost and programme outline, but some of the half-day sessions will be put into the full day to make it accessible and the content will be adjusted.
The impact report highlights a huge increase in confidence and a powerful cross-sector network to help our Fellows achieve their vision for their career and family. More than a third of our 2018 Fellows have been promoted to date.
Read more in our external impact evaluation.
The application and selection process:
- You can register interest now for the 2021 cohort of the Fellowship. Click here to register interest now.
- Applicants complete an application form and have a short interview to make sure the Fellowship is right for you. We are particularly looking for individuals who are passionate about their careers, will contribute to the peer network, and drive a positive movement for change.
- Applications open in late 2020. If you have registered interest in the Fellowship we will send full details about the application process via email.
Information for employers:
There are a number of huge benefits to employers when employees participate in the Leaders Plus Fellowship.
The Fellowship fee is £2990 plus VAT per Fellow.
A small number of places are available at £2590 plus VAT for charities and companies defined as small by Companies House and at £1990 plus VAT to self-funders.
Depending on funding, there may be some hardship fund places for individuals in exceptional circumstances at £450 plus VAT.
If you are a potential applicant, you may find this blog post by current Fellows helpful who share how they got funding from their employers.
Working for the NHS?
You can apply for one of four part-funded places generously sponsored by the London Women's Leadership Network at the NHS London Leadership Academy. Click here for more details.
If you are working in Emergency Medicine, you can apply for one of two part-funded places generously sponsored by the Royal College of Emergency Medicine. Click here for more details.