Our guest this week is an expert in utilising the power of persuasion.
Vanessa Bohns is a social psychologist and associate professor of organisational behaviour at Cornell University, New York. She is also the author of a thought-provoking new book You Have More Influence Than You Think.
In the book, Vanessa draws from her original research to illustrate exactly why we might fail to recognise the influence we have, and how that lack of awareness can lead us to miss opportunities or accidentally misuse our power.
We discuss the 3 things you can do to help you hear yes for a work request (such as asking for flexible working) and why the research actually shows you’re more likely to hear a positive response than you might think.
Our discussion also covers:
- What you can do to increase the chance of hearing YES
- Dealing with rejection and re-framing no
- Why human connection is so integral to decision making
- How to stop people-pleasing and learn to say no
- Why organisations need to be mindful of their people who are working remotely so their voices are included
- Why as a leader it’s critical to still listen to other ideas
- Why expressing compliments and gratitude is so powerful
We hope you enjoy the conversation.
Vanessa’s book You Have More Influence Than You Think is available via her website vanessabohns.com.
- [BOOK] Vanessa Bohns – You Have More Influence Than You Think
- [BOOK] Zoe Chance – Influence is Your Super Power